Tuwo shinkafa is a rice meal, popular in the northern parts of Nigeria.
Tuwo shinkafa is usually prepared with short grain rice (local rice), but it can also be prepared with rice flour (which is easier and faster).
It is also a good substitute for Eba and Fufu, if you’re watching your cholesterol or gluten intake.
To prepare tuwo shinkafa with rice grains
– 500 grams Short grain rice or local rice
– 1000ml(1L) water (more or less)
1. Wash the rice thoroughly and place in the pot.
2. Add the water and set to boil.
3. Boil the rice until it becomes very soft and sticky and the water is dried up.
(if the rice isn’t done before the water dries up, you can add a little more water to the rice).
4. Now using a wooding spoon or a potato masher, mash the soft rice thoroughly to form a soft dough.
Wet your hands and mold into balls.
Serve hot and enjoy.
To prepare Tuwo shinkafa with Rice Flour, you’ll need :
– 500 gram Rice Flour
– 700ml water
1. lace the water in a pot and set to boil. Then scoop out a little water and set aside.
2. Gradually pour in the rice flour into the pot and stir continuously to prevent lump formation.
3. If the mixture is still watery, you an add more rice flour and continue stirring until smooth and firm (or as you want the consistency to be)
4. After about 1 minute, gradually add a little of the hot water you had earlier set aside, then cover the pot and leave to boil on low heat for 30 seconds.
Finally mix thoroughly and your Tuwo shinkafa is ready.
Wet your hands, mold into balls and enjoy with Miyan Wake, Miyan Taushe , Miyan Zogale, Miyan Ridi, Miyan Tapasa and Miyan Shuaka or any Nigerian soupof choice.